Thursday, April 21, 2011

Matrices make Statics easier

math expression

From the diagram, we obtain the following equations (these equations come from statics theory):

Vertical forces: F1 sin 69.3° − F2 sin 71.1° − F3 sin 56.6° + 926 = 0

Horizontal forces: F1 cos 69.3° − F2 cos 71.1° + F3 cos 56.6° = 0

Moments: 7.80 F1 sin 69.3° − 1.50 F2 sin 71.1° − 5.20 F3 sin 56.6° = 0

Using matrices, find the forces F1, F2, & F3.


Answer:

We write the first equation so that the constant term is on the right hand side: F1 sin 69.3° − F2 sin 71.1° − F3 sin 56.6° = -926

In matrix form, we write the equations as:

forcesforces

So the solution for the system is:

solutionsolution 2solution 3

So F1 = 425.5 N, F2 = 1079.9 N, and F3 = 362.2 N .


I checked the link that Noubar used and I liked this problem in Statics. Why did I like it? Because I'm an engineering student and I took that course last semester and I hated it because of such long calculations: we didn't use matrices in such problems, we used to solve them in typical long methods by replacing the unknowns in function of each other, and it never ended..

Now I wish if I only knew about matrices last semester.. Statics would have been much easier especially for systems of 4 equations and 4 unknowns (and even more: 5 or 6) that a regular calculator cannot solve..

Source : http://www.intmath.com/matrices-determinants/6-matrices-linear-equations.php


Tony Al-Rajji.

5 comments:

  1. You are right! The calculations in Statics seem to never end and if they do probably you'll not get the right answer:( I wish now if matrices can make Mechanics easier!! Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's better than calculating three different equations and substituting the unknowns many times, this way reduces the probability of making mistakes in calculations. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will really thank you about this interesting helpful post, because I'm going to take statics next semester, so I will be able to know how to use matrices to solve such problems with long calculations, and it will be very helpful in exams to solve the calculation by using matrices wihtout making mistakes and by winning more time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very interesting post and very helpful as well especially that I'm taking the statics course this semester. I'm gonna use the matrices method in my exam 2 in order to make sure that my answers will be 100% correct. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good post, this method is very benefical and accurate you can use it and your answer will be always correct. because i always use it in solving this type of problems. it's worth to try.

    ReplyDelete